Friday, July 08, 2005

Schism is still a threat

My blog has moved!!! Please visit my new blog for all the newest news, events, opinions and more!!!
You will be automatically re-directed in three seconds. Click the link to go to the new blog now. Use the search function on the new blog to find any story you are looking for on here.

Another one of the better pre-July 8, 2005 posts According to a July 6th article on 365gay.com (article), an Episcopal church in Elizabethtown, Kentucky has split due to the controversy over the election and appointment of the Right Reverend V. Gene Robinson, Bishop of New Hampshire. It has been two years since the election of the Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson but 100 members of Christ Church and its Rector have decided that they are leaving their parish, diocese and Church. During the Spring 2005 semester of my University studies, I wrote a thesis/research paper on the controversy surrounding the inclusion of gay and lesbian persons to the clergy of the Church ('Sibling Rivalry: The Threat of Anglican Schism"). I was astonished to learn during my research that the battle amongst members of the Episcopal Church (USA), the Anglican Church of Canada and the Church of England, not to even mention the worldwide Anglican Communion, had become so divided and heated. Of course, the battle of gays and homosexuality is not new; its been going on for more than thrity years now. The difference is that now, in this day in time, the battles, conflicts, divisions and upsets are more public and talked openly about. Thirty or more years ago, homosexuality was just not a subject people spoke openly about. It makes me very sad to see the Church which I am just beginning my conversion to go through so much pain and suffering over the issue of homosexuality. It would seem to me that the people of the Church would be able to see past all ofour differences of opinions and practice in order to see the many common bonds which we all share, one of which happens to be the most important: Our service and faith in Christ, the Son of the One True God and Saviour of all humankind. I hope and pray that the Anglican Church will be able to one day see past all of our differences and reach toward the one goal which draws us all together in the first place: To live in love as Christ loved us, to gain salvation and learn of God's ultimately magnificent Grace, Mercy, Power and Might. I also hope and pray that the people of the Church, and all people in every church, mosque and synagogue will one day be able to know that our God is one of unending love, mercy, forgiveness and benevolence. May the Holy Spirit of our Lord Jesus Christ guide our Church, our communities, our nations and our world in order to one day attain that which was only made possible by the unending and ever-present love of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next. Amen.