Thursday, February 02, 2006

'Quotes of Note' - Log Cabin newsletter

My blog has moved!!! Please visit my new blog for all the newest news, events, opinions and more!!!
You will be automatically re-directed in three seconds. Click the link to go to the new blog now. Use the search function on the new blog to find any story you are looking for on here.

I found these two really great quotes in the Log Cabin Republican e-newsletter (no, I'm not Republican) and I thought I'd post them:
"People don't choose this. We don't choose who we love. The heart chooses who we love...It isn't right to say that it's acceptable to discriminate against people because of that...because of who their heart chooses to love."- Republican Washington State Senator BILL FINKBEINER during floor debate on a gay inclusive non-discrimination law. "Do you really care if the Arabic linguist translating the next piece of crucial intelligence is gay or straight, as long as he or she gets the job done quickly and accurately, and helps save American lives? Does it really matter anymore?"- Army Veteran and Call To Duty Tour Director ALEX NICHOLSON Nicholson speaking at a San Diego news conference hosted by Log Cabin.
Technorati Tags: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Too bad the Log Cabin Republicans helped to put GW Bush into office. And have now helped Bush appoint two ultra-conservatives to the Supreme Court. Why don't these nuts just crawl back into their closets? That is where their fellow Republicans want them.

Onanite
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 2/02/2006 10:12:00 PM  
Heh, if "people" don't choose to be queer, I guess I'm not a person. :) In the specific context of fighting discrimination, it really doesn't matter whether one chooses to be L, G, B, and/or T or not. I feel that to be sidetracked into such issues, in the context of fighting for legal rights for queer people, is to enter the debate on the terms of the fundies and homophobes; nothing useful can come of it. I can't think of a single solid argument for LGBT rights that depends on a genetic or prenatal origin of non-heterosexuality or non-cisgenderness.

(Actually, his comment just sounds like nonsensical handwaving to me. I don't choose who I love, but "my heart" "chooses" who I love? ...?)

And if the Log Cabin Republicans really cared about queer rights, they wouldn't be supporting the party of Bush and Santorum.
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 2/02/2006 10:25:00 PM  
I really don't think it is fair to say that the Log Cabin Republicans are in support of Bush.

I am not Republican myself but I know many gay people who are Republican. Many of them have affiliated themselves with the Party for reasons which they feel are important: money, business, moral issues, etc.

I also know that the Log Cabin Republicans, as an organization, is not in support of the Republican attack against LGBT rights and they work tirelessly in trying to get equality for all Americans.

LCR is just as much a part of the LGBT Rights Movement as any other LGBT political and equal rights group and they should be respected as such.
posted by Blogger MHC at 2/02/2006 10:44:00 PM  
They don't support Bush anymore, but they did endorse him in the 2000 election, if I am not mistaken. I don't doubt that some gay Republicans are sincerely in favor of equal rights, but I do think some of them are seriously deluded about just what the Republican party stands for. This is 2006, not 1860.

Though, as you said, some gay Republicans prioritize money, business, religion, whatever above equality for non-heterosexuals; in those cases I suppose they just want to have their cake and eat it too.
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 2/03/2006 01:12:00 AM  
All I'm saying is that there needn't be a divide in the LGBT Rights Movement.

LCR's and people who differ on other political views should be able to work together on issues like marriage equalty, the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, employment discrimination, housing discrimination, LGBT youth and schools, etc, etc, etc

We don't need a divide in our own movement... it defeats the purpose.
posted by Blogger MHC at 2/03/2006 01:43:00 AM  
Matt- do you beleive that you have no choice of who you love? Your heart or emotions decide it for you? That seems to be a very unstable way to live.
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 2/03/2006 01:01:00 PM  
I do not believe that being gay is a choice. I also do not believe that being straight is a choice.

Love is unstable... Love is unpredictable... To say that people have a choice in who they love is... well I don't know what it is.

I know that there has been plenty of times I have fallen in love or been attracted to someone for reasons I could NEVER explain.

Love can't be explained.
posted by Blogger MHC at 2/03/2006 01:41:00 PM