Friday, December 23, 2005

Is Greensboro North Carolina's 'Gay San Francisco'?

My blog has moved!!! Please visit my new blog for all the newest news, events, opinions and more!!!
You will be automatically re-directed in three seconds. Click the link to go to the new blog now. Use the search function on the new blog to find any story you are looking for on here.

Well... maybe:
Greensboro is North Carolina's Gay San Francisco? by beth, greensboring.com; Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:09 am I was reading a blog the other day, and one of the comments on it was that Greensboro is North Carolina's Gay San Francisco. I didn't think much of it at the time. But later I began thinking about it. It could be true. In fact we might even be the South's Gay San Francisco. (excluding Florida of course.) Seriously, a recent billboard campaign by a local activist group has made Greensboro an advertised gay positive city. Our own local blogger Matt Hill, has become one of the most visible voices for gays in Greensboro on the internet. Even my favorite radio station: 107.5's morning D.J. Josie, proudly explains she is the daughter of two lesbian mothers on a frequent basis. UNCG has a very prominent and noticeable GLBT group, and Guilford College has always been known as a diverse educational institution open to gays, and other such groups. Even my old High School, Western Guilford, has gotten press, as students spear headed a program to welcome and accept other homosexual students, into a fairly conservative area of town. It was only a few months ago, here in the blogger community, local bloggers had cited those political officials running for office and their opinion on homosexuality. I'm certainly not aware of all aspects of this community, but could it be, while Charlotte and the Triangle have found their niches, we've become an oasis for the gay community? Low cost of living, safe neighborhoods, and ironically enough good Christian folks that never would assume your, well.... gay? Hey I'm all for it. I'm sure some people are going to be upset to find out, Hooters will be hiring drag queens... but I just have to know where the Castro district is here in Greensboro? My vote? Quaker Village Shopping Center. Wait never mind it, practically is.
====== I think I might have to disagree with Beth on where our "Castro District" is: I have two votes: The campuses of UNCG & Guilford College, lol. But Beth is right and so is the commenter she cited in her post: Greensboro is a very gay-friendly place. I do think that the Triad, as a whole, is very gay-friendly although Winston-Salem continues to have some weak spots, especially within its school system. Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,