Saturday, December 31, 2005

Pope attacks gays in end of year address

My blog has moved!!! Please visit my new blog for all the newest news, events, opinions and more!!!
You will be automatically re-directed in three seconds. Click the link to go to the new blog now. Use the search function on the new blog to find any story you are looking for on here.

According to an article published by 365gay.com, His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI has attacked, yet again, gays and gay families. In a New Year's Eve vespers service the Holy Father stressed the importance of the family as based in marriage "in the life of the church and of society." According to the article:
"The family has always been at the center of attention of my venerable predecessors, especially John Paul II," Benedict said before a packed congregation in St. Peter's Basilica. "He was convinced, and reiterated it many times, that a crisis within the family comes at the grave detriment of our civilization." In his homily, the pontiff referred to an address he gave in June on the role of the family, when he referred to marriage as a union between man and woman and condemned same-sex unions as anarchic "pseudo-matrimony." Benedict said Saturday he spoke that day "to underline the importance of the family founded on a marriage in the life of the church and of society."
Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

I don't see where he attacked anyone or anything. He just expressed his belief on what the teaching of the Church is.

You're not saying a person is not allowed to speak their beliefs are you?
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/02/2006 09:33:00 AM  
First to answer Nathan's question... the Pope referred to gay people here: In his homily, the pontiff referred to an address he gave in June on the role of the family, when he referred to marriage as a union between man and woman and condemned same-sex unions as anarchic "pseudo-matrimony."

An article from The Winston-Salem Journal also points this out: In his homily, the pope referred to a speech he gave in June on the role of the family, when he referred to marriage as a union between man and woman and condemned same-sex unions as anarchic "pseudo-matrimony."

Second, to answer Marc's question: I would never, ever suggest that a person is not allowed to speak their beliefs, unless those beliefs are derogatory, discriminatory or prejudiced. I do not believe that the idea of "freedom of speech" allows another person to willfully attack or degrade other people, or even speak in discriminatory, prejudiced or biased ways. Just my opinion. But, of course, it is not like I can stop the Holy Father from saying whatever he wishes, just as he can't stop me from saying anything.
posted by Blogger MHC at 1/02/2006 11:36:00 AM  
I agree Matt. To attack or degrade people is wrong.

However, he did not attack or degrade anyone in his statements. His statements were against same-sex unions, not homosexuals. I can see where you might be mistaken, as I would be inclined to believe that you statements against my faith and Church are an attack on me. I know they are not however, even though I am sensitive to it. I know you are just raising the debate and not attacking the Pope specifically or me as a Catholic, right?
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/02/2006 09:47:00 PM