Sunday, January 08, 2006

Blasphemy? Despite the Right's claims, 'Book of Daniel' speaks truth

My blog has moved!!! Please visit my new blog for all the newest news, events, opinions and more!!!
You will be automatically re-directed in three seconds. Click the link to go to the new blog now. Use the search function on the new blog to find any story you are looking for on here.

I guess this week has just seen a flurry of activity and attention on the media and LGBT issues. From Brokeback Mountain to NBC's new show "The Book of Daniel", the radical, religious Right and LGBT activists/advocates have battled it out in the realm of media, television and movies. I had a chance to actually sit down and watch NBC's new show on Friday night. Thank God (literally) that our local NBC affiliate, WXII 12 did not decide to cancel the show in the Triad area. Despite claims from the radical, religious Right (mainly from the anti-gay American Family Association), I think that the show speaks volumes of the eternal truths of Christianity and God. The Right claimed that the show "made fun" of Christians and that it mocked Christ by portraying Him as unconventional. But wait... wasn't Christ really, like in all honesty, an "unconventional" person of His time? Of course He was. The Right made it look like Christ, as portrayed in NBC's new show, was somehow not the same Christ as portrayed in the Gospel and I think I have to disagree. The main character in "The Book of Daniel" is the Reverend Daniel Webster, the Rector of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church. His father is the Bishop of the diocese and the Rev Webster works with another Bishop (played by Ellen Burstyn) at his parish. The Rev Webster deals with many problems in the film: personal, family, business and that relating to his church. The biggest problem, at least personally, for him is his addiction to painkillers. Although the Right claimed that Christ, as portrayed in the show, would be one accepting and tolerant of sin, the truth is that if they would have just waited to see the show themselves instead of attacking it before it came on the air, they would have seen that the show's Christ is no where near accepting or tolerant of sin. Not only does he keep the Rev Webster from partaking in his addiction (when He doesn't stop him, He throws the Rev Webster a large and heavy guilt trip), He also acts as the Shepard, leading the Rev Webster and helping to guide him and comfort him. At one point in the show, the Rev Webster asks Christ, "Why do you talk to me?" Christ responds with what I could probably find basis for in Scripture: "I talk to everyone; you have chosen to listen." You know... The Rev Webster's addiction to painkillers and the many other personal and family problems he has reflects that of real life. The same things happen to Christians in real life. Whatever our addictions are and whatever our individual sins are, we sometimes have the strength (with the help of God) to keep from doing those things. At other times, however, we don't always have that strength and we "fall short of the Glory of God" and then feel guilty for that shortcoming. In the end though, as in the NBC show, Christ comes back to bring us to our feet again and to give us His love and His strength. "The Book of Daniel" is not blasphemous. It is not a "mockery" of God or Christ or the Church. It is an honest look at Christianity, Christians and our Church leaders. I guess the Right would just want everything to be painted and portrayed as perfect, but that would not be honest. The leaders of the Church (in the show and in life) are not perfect and are sinners as well. This show is a good one. As a Christian, I love it. As a Christian, I saw many biblical and religious truths and teachings. I think the Right should reconsider its stance and refrain from making any more "pre-emptive strikes" against anything in the future. Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Thanks for the comment and the kind words.

But I must say, as a Christian, I am far from being perfect. That is part of the reason why I am Christian.

I have made many mistakes in my life and God surely knows that I have partaken in my share of sins. It is only through His help and strength that I find my own strength and courage to make it through my own personal problems and dilemmas in trying to live right and according to what I have been taught and feel is right in relation to God and His Scripture.

Wow... that was so like Baptist, which isn't surprising because I grew up as a Baptist. lol.

But, yeah... being Christian doesn't mean you are perfect. Heck, it doesn't mean you are even trying to be perfect because that isn't even possible. Being Christian means professing your faith and belief in God and His Son, Jesus Christ, as the Saviour of humankind. It also means being a person of love, acceptance, grace and forgiveness.

Whatever a person's religious beliefs I will love them and treat them the same as any of my fellow Christians, because, ultimately, your religion and your beliefs are none of my business: They aren't between me and you and God.... only you and God.

Thanks for the comment dude!
posted by Blogger MHC at 1/08/2006 08:08:00 AM  
And one more thing I didn't mention... Here in the American South, religion and Church are big thing... it is so engrained into our culture, our government, our whole way of life.

I could never imagine leaving the Church. I could never imagine losing faith.
posted by Blogger MHC at 1/08/2006 08:11:00 AM