Friday, August 05, 2005

Copyrighting the Bible? Offering in Church?

My blog has moved!!! Please visit my new blog for all the newest news, events, opinions and more!!!
You will be automatically re-directed in three seconds. Click the link to go to the new blog now. Use the search function on the new blog to find any story you are looking for on here.

I was reviewing some of my old writings while posting some of them in the "Essays/Longer Writings" section of the side bar here on the blog and ran across a citation in one of my papers.
The Scripture quotations contained herein are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and are used by permission. All rights reserved.
I'm taking issue with this. Who has the right to copyright the Word of God? Evidently the National Council of Churches of Christ does. I'm sorry. there is just something wrong with the fact that a group of people can copyright the Holy Word of Our Lord Jesus Christ. There is something terribly wrong with that. I know that some will say that the Council jsut copyrighted the translation, but what, really, is the difference? If you copyright the words of the translation, aren't you also copyrighting the words of Our Lord? I hate to tell these people this, but the only person who has any right to "copyright" the Words of Christ is Christ Himself. Another component of the Church that I take issue with, while I'm thinking of it, is public offering during Church services. I grew up poor, in fact, being a college student now... I'm still poor. There are Sundays when I go to Church when I do not have the money to put into the offering plate when it comes around. Not only is it embarassing, it can also lead to some people thinking they are not as good as others, especially when they see another person put a twenty or fifty dollar bill in the plate. In my honest opinion, the offering plate should not be passed around in the middle of the Church Worship Service. I'm NOT saying take out the offering completely, because that is a part of the worship service. Here is my proposal: Put the offering plates at the door of the narthex or nave with someone there to make sure no one, God forbiding, steals the money. That way people are free to place money inthe plate or just walk by it. Then, when it is time to bring the offering to the Alter it can still be done. I'm still kind of worked up over the copyrighting of the Bible, though.

1 Comments:

Hi Nathan... I didn't mean to say take it out completely... I forgot a word.. "I'm NOT saying..."

I know its important.. but it is also embarrasing to have a money plate shoved in your face when you have no money to give. Kind of makes you feel you have to pay to go to church and its not right.
posted by Blogger MHC at 8/06/2005 04:17:00 AM